To me, it is strange to think Christians choose to acknowledge and practice/preach some of these items, but completely disregard others. It’s widely accepted to ignore these things. According to Rational Wiki, “Many of the following belong to the ceremonial and civil categories of the Mosaic Law, which Christians regard as defunct..”
But why? Did God come down and say, “Hey y’all! This is God, and I just wanted to let you know pork’s cool now. So is getting a divorce. Alrighty then, bye!” (That’s how I like to imagine God talking. Don’t judge). Regardless, my point is: why do we as people get to decide what to follow in the bible? If a person believes in the word of the bible, shouldn’t they believe and follow all of it and not just bits?
Most everyone is familiar with the Ten Commandments (depending on the religion/denomination, some of these may be clumped under the same commandment):
- God is God.
- Don’t have any other Gods before God.
- Don’t make yourself an idol.
- Remember the Sabbath.
- Honor your parents.
- Do not take the lords name in vain.
- Don’t kill.
- Don’t cheat.
- Don’t steal.
- Don’t bear false witness against your neighbor.
- Don’t covet your neighbors wife.
- Don’t covet your neighbors cool new car (or anything that belongs to them).
These commandments are talked about quite frequently. I have been to many a religious household with a little wall hanger with the commandments listed. There are, however, many other things the bible says not to do which are overlooked. Some of these things are mentioned as sins, and some are mentioned as abominations. Let’s have a look at all things sin and abomination, shall we?
The following are things which are portrayed as equal or worse than homosexual marriage according to the bible. Some are punishable by death. Please see Rational Wiki, Ranker, and Bible Babble for these and more.
- Having sex with a woman who is menstruating (Leviticus 20:18)
- When a woman does not bleed when losing her virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
- Lying about virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
- Sorry vamp kids...Consuming blood (Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:10)
- NO BURGERS! Eating anything that mixes meat and dairy (Exodus 23:19)
- Sill no burgers! Eating fat (Leviticus 3:17)
- Eating pork (Leviticus 11:7-8)
- Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales (Deuteronomy 14:9-10)
- Eating any meat not killed according to the Kosher practice (Deuteronomy 12:21)
- Google Kosher–but here are some fun kosher facts.
- Only fish with fins and scales may be eaten: catfish, shellfish, reptiles, amphibians, crustaceans, and insects are not allowed.
- Meat and milk may not be mixed in the kitchen or on the table.
- Animals must be killed with a single stroke of the knife and drained of blood; animals not killed in this manner are not acceptable.
- Being a male who is not circumcised (Genesis 17:14)
- Sorry American Idol Fans. Worshiping idols (Exodus 22:20, Leviticus 20:1-5, Deuteronomy 17:2-7)
- Performing any work on the Sabbath (Exodus 20:10).
- Planting more than one kind of seed in a field (Leviticus 19:19).
- Ignoring the judgement of a judge or a priest (Deuteronomy 17:8-13).
- Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth (Leviticus 19:19).
- Sorry everyone ever who has cut his or her hair–Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard (Leviticus 19:27)
- Touching the dead carcass of a pig (Deuteronomy 14:8)
- Don’t let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)
“I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent.” (Timothy 2:11)
Some translations read as “Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.”